Thursday, April 23, 2009

Make-A-Wish Conference

I just came back from a great time in Nashville at Make-A-Wish Foundation's Mid-Year Leadership Council and 3rd Quarter Board Meetings plus Wish and Development, Marketing & Communications Combined Conference.

As you can imagine there was a lot going on during the week-long event. I conducted a workshop on relationship-building and a second one on “More Eventful Events; Turn Event Supporters into Major Donors.” I stayed an extra day, visited other sessions and talked to lots of people in the hallways and answered questions.

I also toured old Nashville with the group – it was a cross between Key West and New Orleans with lots of bars and lots of music! I felt like part of the Make-A-Wish family.

It struck me how Make-A-Wish volunteers and staff were very open to new ideas and challenging the old ways. This was a big part of the conference. Was this is part of their culture and/or a reaction to the times? The participants included national and local chapter executives, program staff, development staff and national and local board members.

For Make-A-Wish, everyone has a role in establishing relationships. I thought it was interesting that the program staff have a lot of relationship-building responsibility. They need these connections in order to make wishes happen through a wide range of venues including airlines, hotels, celebrities, their agents and families, etc.

Many chapters talked about how to get off the event “Tee” and within the events, use them as a platform for major and planned gifts and relationship-centered development. Once they refocused what the event was for, one chapter quadrupled its revenue over six years.

Some of their crucial conversations focused around: How do you change your event focus? How do you diversify your fundraising portfolio? How do you create a relationship-centered process when third-parties hold the event and raise the money for you? How do you return to lead donors via board members and to get the board to “hug” these donors?

One of their major donors and a national board member attended my workshops. She told me later; “I thought I knew the other board members and major donors, but after doing the exercises in your workshop, I wonder how much I really know about them. That was an eye-opener!”

My thanks to Elizabeth for bringing me into her family!

No comments: