Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Small Town Fundraising - Montana-style

Thanks to some great new friends, Paul Kink and his wife Diane Rupert-Thomas, I have been visiting that beautiful state. Paul told me recently about how powerful a relationship is and how a phone call can lead to something much bigger.

"I go back about 35 years with this ranching family in Phillipsburg and there are only 400 - 500 people in that little town. The father survived cancer and now his 10-year old has cancer in the brain," Paul told me.

Several people decided to raise money, Montana-style, for their medical expenses with team roping (228 cowboys showed up); mountain biking; run/walks, and in the evening, a silent auction and barbecue.

"It was amazing, there were about 400 people there and they raised $100,000," Paul said.

This was an entirely community-effort - no marketing person, no executive director; just people putting up posters all over the county and calling everyone they knew.

"We didn't know we couldn't do it," Paul said.

Paul told me this story because he knows I love to hear about the power of relationships and I think, that in smaller areas, this is more powerful than anywhere else.

Click on the link or Copy and Paste the address into your internet browser window.
http://www.missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/article_25d74eb6-a343-11de-a136-001cc4c002e0.html

No comments: