Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Board member finds connecting easy!

Recently, I spent a half day training staff and board members in the Midwest on how to build relationships within the staff and with outside supporters. I asked them to make a "coffee date" with someone and report back. Here's what one board member wrote to the Senior Vice President of Association Advancement . . .

Thank you so much for inviting me to the "go beyond hello" in-service on Wed. It was very informative. Michael and I set a time to get together. I called him to set up a destination and through the process of exploring where to meet for coffee, we discovered we both like the pumpkin late at Starbucks. So, that was a no brainier. Starbucks it was!

We met Thursday morning and spent about 45 min talking about each other (no shop). We talked about family, kids, where we grew up, college, career path and much more. It went easier than I thought. I felt it was nice we had the pumpkin late as a common interest right from the start, it gave us a place to begin our conversation. Happens he used to live in Seattle.

This was a great exercise. I left feeling the invitation for someone to join you for coffee and starting a relationship isn't as hard as you think. Just finding out about some one else and talking about yourself takes the pressure off your (giving them the mission speech or the car manual... so to speak).

I can see how a relationship with trust over time would progress to a more comfortable position asking for help or money...thanks again and have a great weekend.

Board Member

No comments: