Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What I’ve learned this year!

Notes from the road

Even though 2009 has just started, I’ve been on the road— trainings in Santa Rosa, Bakersfield and Los Angeles, CA and presentations at the ALS National Conference!

I hear one message even louder now than I did before:
“I need the money and I need it now!”

Sounds like that commercial on television! And, when you meet someone, that message shows through loud and clear.

I’ve also noticed that Board Members more quickly pick up my philosophy of “chase the relationship, not the money.” Why? Because I think they know that mission only is not reason enough to give, especially now. I think they are also used to being more flexible and trying different approaches to get their messages across.

They quickly pick up the skill-based, real-world training I bring in my goBeyondhello workshops and speeches. I take them from communication style assessments all the way to coaching on how to secure referrals and introductions.

What else do they like? They like the exercise where we build a “mosaic” about their stakeholders and it’s an eye-opener when they realize how little they know about them outside the Board or donor role!

They also like the “science” of relationship-building that I teach where I show how to measure a relationship and “when to ask.”

My Tips:

First, focus on the person. What do you know and what questions can you ask to learn more? Build as complete a picture as possible about the person’s business life, interests, hobbies and family.

Second,
put his or her needs first. In this economy, everyone is feeling pinched, even the wealthy. Don’t rush to tell how your organization is hurting.




No comments: