Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Taking time to stay in touch

I had a delightful lunch with two charming young people Saturday. Kristen Schultz of Crescendo Interactive, Inc..,gift planning software, and Chris Jaarda, who works in politics in Washington, D.C.

Without taking my course, Chris already practices what I teach - making time for what's important, not urgent.

He starts his day by checking in with his boss for 20 minutes, telling him what he's working on, what he knows and what he's heard. Then he checks in with his co-workers and spends another hour calling people who are important to his career.

"I don't even turn on my computer to check email until 10:00 a.m.," he told me. "By this time. I already know everything that's important. I've always worked this way and don't know any other way to work."

Chris has built up a wide network of contacts and many important relationships in his career. I predict great success for him!

No comments: