Monday, June 29, 2009

On a silver platter

As a speaker and trainer, I get into a "zone" and when I get interrupted, sometimes it's tough to get back into the groove. This happened to me twice within a week by two well-known dignitaries.

A few weeks ago, I was invited to a retreat for Make-A-Wish in San Diego. I was just warming up when the President of the San Diego Padres baseball team showed up to accept an award. We were at Petco Park and I was certainly happy to wait to continue!

Then thanks to a very generous invitation from Kevin P. Martin Jr., Kevin P Martin & Associates, P.C. I was delivering the keynote at his Not-For-Profit Philanthropy Summit in Boston. Who interrupted me? The Mayor!

He talked for about 35 minutes. When I asked what he said, someone replied, "Whatever an Irish-heritage politician running for re-election in Boston usually talks about." He talked about volunteerism, the importance of nonprofits in this economy and the safety net they provide.

When I came back to speak, Kevin pulled a great surprise on me. We were in a very elegant ballroom at the Intercontinental Hotel in front of Board members and executives from major nonprofits throughout the area. He dressed his staff in black, arranged my book in tiers on silver platters and then proceeded to deliver them to each person in the audience! Thanks Kevin; you made my book look very appetizing!

No comments: