Monday, June 29, 2009

YAHOO'S goodreads - check out my book reviews

Many of you know how curious I am about others. I decided be curious about myself and Googled my name. (I'm sure most of you have done that too. ) I was surprised to find my book reviewed on YAHOO's GoodReads site.. Two women, Mary Turner and Sue enjoyed it.

Here are their comments:

05/28/09 - Mary Turner rated it:

Read in May, 2009
There were times when I felt a little silly reading this book simply because the narrative, solely used as a vehicle to apply the lessons in a possible life scenario, was a bit corny. Nevertheless, the lessons were highly applicable to the work I do and to non-profit management in general and the narrative made it digestible and memorable. I actually identified with the main character, ED Oscar, who often looks for shortcuts and feels VERY nervous about asking people for money or making people feel like they are just another step on your networking ladder.

Howard explains through the character of Victoria, Board Chair, that forming real relationships with stakeholders in your community and asking them to give back is the opposite of treating these stakeholders as a rung on your ladder. The strategies utilized by Oscar to create and develop these relationships were something anyone with a true will to improve their organization and leadership style could embrace. I am really glad I read it and plan to recommend it to my board members, as well as purchase organizational copies for members of the Executive Board. Whether you work in non-profit management or just want to work smarter, I highly recommend taking the short time to read this book. But now I will stop writing this review before I sound too much like a motivational speaker and start selling tickets...


05/27/09 - Sue rated it:

Read in May, 2009
While the story is framed around fundraising in a non-profit organization, the books lessons are applicable everywhere. Everything we do in our lives is build around relationships, and many of us in the non-profit arena don't think in those terms when it comes to our jobs. What I liked about this book is that more than anything is just reaffirms that the best work we can do is built on common sense.

And I really like it's presentation as a story instead of an academic format. Direct application is always so much more interesting than theory. (And I love theory!!)

If you want to join the discussion and add your review, I would appreciate it! Just login and you can create a community of people around you and the other books you are reading!

No comments: